Turaida Museum Reserve is known for its beautiful surroundings and history. The name Turaida means “God’s garden” in the language of the ancient inhabitants, the Livonians. When viewed from a hot-air balloon or the opposite bank of the Gauja on an autumn evening, Turaida castle rises above the green foliage like an imposing ship built out of red brick.
Visitors of Turaida Museum Reserve can familiarise themselves with the more striking elements of medieval castle-building while taking a walk along the castle ramparts.
The museum contains Dainas Hill a garden of sculptures dedicated to Latvian folklore. It was created to honour Krišjānis Barons, the most distinguished collector of folk songs. Turaida Church is one of the oldest wooden churches in Latvia, built in 1750. Archaeological research demonstrates that the site had contained at least two previous churches.
- By vil
- Email: email@example.com